UK Genealogy Archives logo

Caervorran, Northumberland

Historical Description

Caervorran, a locality on the SW border of Northumberland, on the Roman wall, the Maiden Way, and the river Tippal, near Thirlwall castle and the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 4½ miles WNW of Haltwhistle. It was the Roman Magna on the Wall, the station occupied by the second Dalmatian cohort; and altars, inscriptions, and other Roman relies have been found.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: