Byrness, formerly a chapelry in Elsdon parish, but made a separate parish in 1883, Northumberland, on the river Reed, among the Cheviots, 10 miles NW of Otterburn, and 13 from Bellingham station on the N.E.R. The name is supposed to be derived from the Anglo-Saxon, meaning " burial of ashes." Post town, Otterburn (R.S.O.), under Newcastle-on-Tyne. Population, 173. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Newcastle; gross value, £120 with residence. The church was built in 1786 and restored in 1884.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Rothbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Byrness from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Byrness)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Byrness are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: