UK Genealogy Archives logo

Brierdean or Burradon, Northumberland

Historical Description

Brierdean or Burradon, a township in Earsdon parish, Northumberland, on the Blyth railway, 5 miles NNW of North Shields. The nearest railway station is Whitley (1 mile) on the N.E.R. It has a post and money order office called Burradon, under Dudley (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Forest Hall. Acreage, 545; population, 1156. Coal and stone are worked. A dreadful colliery disaster occurred here in March, 1860.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Civil parishEarsdon 
Poor Law unionTynemouth 
WardCastle 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Brierdean or Burradon from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: