UK Genealogy Archives logo

Barmoor, Northumberland

Historical Description

Bannoor, a village in Lowick parish, Northumberland, 1 mile W of Lowick, and 8 N of Wooler. Beal (5 miles) is the post town, also nearest station, on the N.E.R. Bar-moor Castle, the seat of the Sitwell family, is an elegant edifice of 1802, on the site of an ancient seat of the Mus-champs. Barmoor Wood was the headquarters of the English general on the eve of the battle of Flodden.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Civil parishLowick 
Poor Law unionGlendale 
WardGlendale 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Barmoor from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: