Aln, a township and a parish in Northumberland. The township lies near the source of the Aine river, under the southern spurs of the Cheviots, 9 miles NW of Rothburv, and 7 W of Whittingham. Post town, Whittingham (R.S.O.), which is the money order office; telegraph office, Glanton. Acreage, 10,346; population of the civil parish, 105; of the ecclesiastical, 201. The parish includes also the townships of Prendwick, Unthank, and Scrainwood. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor. A considerable area in the eastern part of the parish is under cultivation, the land being fertile, but the land in the west is chiefly moor. A semicircular ancient camp, 300 feet in diameter, with encircling double rampart and deep trench, is on a hill about a mile W of the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £210. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church was built about 1135, and contains seven ancient tombs. The vicarage was built in the time of Edward III., and restored in 1844, and includes an embattled peel tower.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: