Allenton or Alwinton, Northumberland
Allenton or Alwinton, a village and a parish in Northumberland. The village lies on the Coquet river, at the influx of the rivulet Alien or Alwin, 10 miles NW of Roth-bury railway station, and 19 WSW of Alnwick. The parish contains also the townships of Farnham, Sharperton, Peels, Clennel, Burradon, Biddlestone,Linbridge, Fairhaugh, Nether -ton-North-Side, and Netherton-South-Side, also five townships in the Holystone parochial chapelry. Acreage, 1181; population of the civil parish, 60; of the ecclesiastical, 1034. It is the largest ecclesiastical parish in England. It has a post office of the name of Alwinton, under Rothbury; the money order office is at Harbottle. Much of the surface is moor and hill, rising towards the Central Cheviots. The living is a vicarage, united to that of Holystone, in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £205 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is partly Norman, Early English, and Transitional, possessing a very remarkable chancel, raised by a flight of fourteen steps above the nave. It was restored in 1853.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Allenton St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Rothbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Allenton or Alwinton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Allenton, or Allwinton (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: