Parwich, a village and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands l¼ mile SW of the Cromford and High Peak railway, and 7 miles N of Ashborne, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Ashborne. The parish comprises 3264 acres; population, 498. The manor belongs to the Evans family. A Roman camp was here, and has yielded many Roman relics and left some remains. The living is a vicarage, with Alsop-en-le-Dale annexed, in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £280. The church is in the Norman style, and was built in 1873 on the site of the old one; it consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, and a western tower with lofty spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and several charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Parwick St. Peter|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Parwich 1639-1837, Derbyshire, is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Parwich from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Parwick (St. Peter))
- Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1899
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Parwich are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: