Padfield, a village, formerly a chapelry, but now part of the ecclesiastical parish of Hadfield, Derbyshire, on the Manchester and Sheffield railway, 1½ mile NW of Glossop town and railway station. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Glossop. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in cloth, thread, and cotton-yarn works. There is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1880.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Glossop|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Padfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Padfield)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Padfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: