Over Haddon, Derbyshire
Haddon, Over, a village and a township in Bakewell parish, Derbyshire, 2½ miles S of Bakewell, and 3 from Rowsley station on the M.R. Post town and money order And telegraph office, BakewelL Acreage, 1399; population, 179. Earl Cowper is lord of the manor. There is a chapel of ease served by the clergy of Bakewell, and a Reformed Methodist chapel. The valley of the Lathkil, on the side of which the hamlet of Over Haddon is situated, is one of the most beautiful and romantic in Derbyshire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bakewell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Over Haddon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Haddon, Over and Nether)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Over Haddon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: