Osmaston, a village and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands on an eminence, 2 miles SE by S of Ashborne-railway station, and 10½ from Derby. It was formerly called Osmaston-in-the Wood, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Ashborne. The parish comprises. 1250 acres of land and 18 of water; population, 264. The Manor Hall is the seat of the Walker family, and was built in 1851. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of South-well; net value, £120 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1845, is in the Decorated English style, and consists of chancel, nave, and aisles, with vestry and lofty tower. In 1887 the windows of the chancel were filled with stained, glass and the floor relaid with mosaic work; a new organ was erected in 1890.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Osmaston St. Martin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Osmaston-by-Derby 1743-1812, Derbyshire is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Osmaston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Osmaston (St. Martin))
- Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1899
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: