Osleston and Thurvaston, Derbyshire
Osleston and Thurvaston, a township partly in Sutton-on-the-Hill and partly in Long Lane ecclesiastical parishes, Derbyshire, 7 miles W by N of Derby. Acreage, 1745; population, 293. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £64 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Sutton-on-the Hill. The church is a plain structure consisting of chancel, nave, and belfry. It was built in 1859 when the new parish was formed from the ancient parishes of Trusley, Sutton-on-the Hill, and Brailsford.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Sutton On The Hill|
|Poor Law union||Burton-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Osleston and Thurvaston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Osleston, with Thurvaston)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: