UK Genealogy Archives logo

Burghley House, Northamptonshire

Historical Description

Burghley House, the seat of the Marquis of Exeter, on the NE border of Northamptonshire, adjacent to the river Welland, in the southern vicinity of Stamford St Martin. The mansion was founded in 1575 by Sir William Cecil, Baron Burghley, ancestor of the Marquises of Exeter and Salisbury, is a great hollow Tudor quadrangle, and contains a fine collection of pictures. The park is large, containing about 1500 acres. It is divided into three portions, the upper used as a deer park, the middle devoted to grazing and game preserving, and the lower, which is open to the public.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: