Tingrith, a village and a parish in Beds, 4 miles E of Woburn, and 3 W from Harlington and Flitwick stations on the M.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Woburn. Acreage, 1119; population, 155. Tingrith Manor is a chief residence standing in a park of about 120 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £145 with residence. The church is a building of stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, containing an Early English font, a brass of 1611, and some good stained windows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tingrith St. Nicholas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1572.
The Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service (BLARS) hold the registers for Tingrith: Baptisms 1572-1978, Marriages 1572-1971, Burials 1572-1977, Banns 1824-1978. Transcripts in either book or microfiche form for registers prior to 1813 can be purchased from the BLARS (see website for details).
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas is a building of stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells; the font, a good specimen of Early English, is a decagon, with clustered shafts: there is a brass on the north chancel wall to Robert Hogeson esq. 1611: the church was repaired in 1845-6, at a cost of over £5,000: there are four stained memorial windows to members of the family of Tanqueray, including one to the Rev. Edward Tanqueray LL.B. 59 years rector of this parish, 1787-1846: the east and west windows and others are also stained: there are sittings for 200 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Tingrith was in Woburn Registration District from 1837 to 1899 and Ampthill Registration District from 1899 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tingrith from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tingrith (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Bedfordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Tingrith are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online:
- Bedfordshire Times and Independent
- Biggleswade Chronicle
- Luton Times and Advertiser
- Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle
Tingrith was in Woburn Poor Law Union from 1835-1899 when it transferred to Ampthill Poor Law Union. For further detailed history of the Ampthill Union see Peter Higginbotham's excellent resource: Ampthill Poor Law Union and Workhouse.
A full transcript of the Visitations of Bedfordshire 1566, 1582, and 1634 is available online.