Oakerthorpe, a hamlet in South Wing-field parish, Derbyshire, a quarter of a mile from Wingfield railway station, and 1½ W of Alfreton. It has a post office under Alfreton; money order office, South Wingfield; telegraph office, Alfreton. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. There is a colliery.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Oakerthorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: