Norton, a village and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands 1¼ mile SE of the river Sheaf, at the boundary with Yorkshire, about 3 miles from Heeley station on The M.R., and 4 S by E of Sheffield, and is a pleasant place. It has a post office under Sheffield; money order office, Meersbrook Bank; telegraph office, Heeley; has a good inn, is a seat of petty sessions, and the monthly meeting-place of a local farmers' club. The parish contains also the hamlets and constablewicks of Norton Lees, Greenhill, Bradway, Little Norton, Backmoor, Maugerhay, Hemsworth, and Woodseats. Acreage, 4420 of land and 17 of water; population, 5477. The manor, with Norton Hall, belongs to the Goodliffe family. Norton House, the Oaks, Grange House, and Chantry Grange are chief residences. The manufacture of scythes, sickles, law-files, and nails is carried on. Population of the ecclesiastical parish of St James, 1155; of Norton Woodseats, 4158. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £558 with residence. The Church of St James is a large and handsome building in the Late Norman and Perpendicular styles, and was completely restored in 1881-82; .has a tower, several stained windows, and contains a tablet to Sir Francis Chantrey, and several other monuments. There are Wesleyan, New Connexion, and United Free Methodist chapels, a cemetery under the control of a burial board, a school at Maugerhay endowed by Sir Francis 'Chantrey, R.A., and considerable charities. Sir Francis 'Chantrey, Bishop Geoffry Blythe, and Bishop John Blythe were natives. Norton Woodseats was formed into a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1874. The church at Norton Lees was erected in 1877, and consists of chancel, nave, and bell-turret. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £280. Patron, the Vicar of Norton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Norton St. James|
|Poor Law union||Ecclesall-Bierlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Norton 1559-1812, Derbyshire is available to browse online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Norton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Norton (St. James))
- Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1899
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Norton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: