Islington or Tilney cum Islington, Norfolk
Islington or Tilney-cum-Islington, a village and a parish in Norfolk, 5 miles WSW from Lynu, and 2 S from Clenchwarton station on the Midland and Great Northern Joint railway. Post town, Lynn; money order and telegraph office, Wiggenhall St Germans. Acreage, 1732; population, 271. Islington Hall and Islington Lodge are chief residences. The living is a vicarage, of the net value of £194 with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. The church is a cruciform building of stone in the Early English style, with an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Islington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wisbech|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Islington or Tilney cum Islington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Islington (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.