Hillington or Hellington, Norfolk
Hillington or Hellington, a village and a parish in Norfolk. The village stands 6 miles SE from Norwich, and 4 S from Bnckenham station on the G.E.R. Post town, Norwich, via Framingham Earl; money order office, Burgh Apton; telegraph office, Trowse Newton. Acreage, 528; population, 82. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net yearly value, £79. The church is a small building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, with a circular western tower and a Norman arcade.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hillington St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Loddon and Clavering|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hillington or Hellington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hillington, or Halagston (St. John the Baptist))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.