UK Genealogy Archives logo

Newton Solney, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Newton Solney, a village and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands on the river Trent at the boundary with Staffordshire, 2¾ miles NE by N of Burton-upon-Trent, and has a post office under Burton-upon-Trent; money order and telegraph office, Eepton. The parish comprises 1393 acres; population, 467. The manor belongs to the Ratcliff family. Bricks are made. The living is a donative in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £17. The church is ancient, was restored in 1884, has a tower and spire, and contains some effigies, supposed to be monuments of the Solney family. There are four almshouses, erected in 1866.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Ecclesiastical parishNewton-Solney St. Mary 
HundredRepton and Gresley 
Poor Law unionBurton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Newton Solney from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Newton Solney are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:

DistrictSouth Derbyshire
CountyDerbyshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtDE15
Post TownBurton-On-Trent