Tilsworth, a parish, with a village, in Beds, 1¼ mile NNE of Stanbridge Ford station on the L. & N.W.R., and 8½ miles E of Leighton Buzzard. Post town and money order office, Leighton Buzzard; telegraph office, Hockliffe. Acreage, 1246; population, 219. The manor belongs to the Turner family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £46 with residence. The church is an ancient building of the Decorated and Perpendicular periods, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It has some ancient tombs. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tilsworth All Saints|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1649.
The Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service (BLARS) hold the registers for Tilsworth: Baptisms 1649-1938, Marriages 1649-1979, Burials 1649-1963, Banns 1801-1979. Transcripts in either book or microfiche form for registers prior to 1813 can be purchased from the BLARS (see website for details).
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a structure of the Decorated and Perpendicular periods, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle with porch and a low western embattled tower, containing 5 bells: the chancel and north side of the nave are Decorated, and the latter has a sepulchral recess with a deeply moulded arch crocketed and foliated and retaining one pinnacle; within, on a low altar-tomb, is a full-length recumbent effigy of an ecclesiastic in a chasuble, the head resting on two cushions; the front of tomb is panelled in quatrefoils: there are two tombs in the chancel, one in memory of Gabriel Fowler, another to Sir Henry Chester knt. with effigy of himself, wife and son: near the south door is a stone slab, with traces of an incised effigy and an inscription in Norman French to Adam de Tullesworth, supposed to be the founder of an older church on the site of which the present church stands; there is also a very ancient tablet to Mary Willowbi, and four stained windows: the nave and aisle were restored in 1906 at a cost of about £1,200, and the tower and chancel in 1909 at a further cost of about £1,300.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Tilsworth was in Woburn Registration District from 1837 to 1899 and Leighton Buzzard Registration District from 1899 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tilsworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tilsworth (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Bedfordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Tilsworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online:
- Bedfordshire Times and Independent
- Biggleswade Chronicle
- Luton Times and Advertiser
- Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle
Tilsworth was in Woburn Poor Law Union from 1835-1899 when it transferred to Leighton Buzzard Poor Law Union. For further detailed history of the Leighton Buzzard Union see Peter Higginbotham's excellent resource: Leighton Buzzard Poor Law Union and Workhouse.
A full transcript of the Visitations of Bedfordshire 1566, 1582, and 1634 is available online.