Newmills, a large village and a parish, formed out of Glossop parish, Derbyshire. The village stands on the river Goyt. at the boundary with Cheshire, three-quarters of a mile N of the Sheffield and Midland Joint line and 7½ miles ESE of Stockport. It was originally called Bowden Middle Cale; took the name of Newmills from the erection of a new corn mill on its site; is a large place; and lias a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stockport, with a station on the L & N.W.R., and a joint station of the M.R. and M.S. & L.R. It has a town-hall erected in 1875, a savings bank, and fairs are held in May and Oct. The parish contains the townships of Beard, Thomsett, Whitle, and Ollersett, and by a Local Government Order of 4 March, 1885, the name was altered to Newmills. Acreage, 5042 of land and 36 of water; population, 5498. There are many calico-printing works, and cotton-spinning, cotton-band manufactories, and iron and brass foundries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, The Vicar of Glossop. The church is a handsome edifice in The Pointed style, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire. A handsome chapel of ease to the parish church and six almshouses were built in 1880. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, United Free Methodist, and Roman Catholic chapels. The Roman Catholic chapel is a very fine structure in the Early English style, and has a tower and spire. The workhouse for the Hayfield union is in this township.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hayfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newmills from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (New-Mills)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: