Newhall, a town and an ecclesiastical parish in Derbyshire. With Stanton it forms the township of Stanton and Newhall. The town stands near Swadlincote railway station, 1½ mile NW of the boundary with Leicestershire, and 3½ miles SE of Burton-upon-Trent, and has a post and money order office under Burton-upon-Trent; telegraph office, Swadlincote. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1845. Population, 4313. There are collieries and brick-fields. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £260 with residence. The church was built in 1842 at a cost of £7000; was restored and a chancel added in 1884; is a brick edifice in the Pointed style; and has a pinnacled tower. There are Wesleyan, Primitive and Free Methodist chapels, and a hall erected in 1874 by the late Countess of Chesterfield in memory of her son, which comprises a large lecture-hall, reading and billiard rooms.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Newhall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: