Pool Quay, Montgomeryshire
Pool Quay, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Welshpool and Guilsfield parishes, Montgomeryshire. The village stands on the river Severn, 4 miles NE of Welshpool. It has a station, about a mile N of the village, on the Cambrian railway, and a post office under Welshpool; money order and telegraph office, Welshpool. There is a toll bridge across the Severn to Reinant Trewem. There is also a ferry for foot passengers to Crigsion at the lower end of the parish, called Rhyd-escyn or " the ford of the ascent," which is said to be connected with the march of the Romans to meet Caradoc in battle on the slopes of Moel-y-breiddun just above. A considerable trade was at one time carried on in the exportation of barytes, the Severn being navigable for barges up to this point, but the trade has long since ceased. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1863. Population, 365. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £270 with residence. Patron, Lord Powis. The church is dedicated to St John the Evangelist, and is in the Early English style. Some of the stones of an ancient Cistercian abbey are built into the porch of the vicarage. The foundations of this abbey, " Strata Marcella," were uncovered in 1890, and the outline of the building traced. A monograph upon them is to be found in the Powis Land Magazine. The church must have been one of the largest in Wales. Nothing above-ground remains.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: