Montgomeryshire Canal, Montgomeryshire
Montgomeryshire Canal, a canal in the E of Montgomeryshire, owned by the Shropshire Union Railway and Canal Company, from Newtown 25½ miles north-north-eastward along the valley of the Severn, by Garthmyi, Berriew, and Welshpool, to Llanymynech. It was formed in 1795-1821; it descends 119 feet with 13 locks, and ascends 83 feet with 2 locks; it sends off a branch of 3 miles to Guils-field; it crosses the Vyrnwy river, adjacent to Llanymynech, at the boundary with Salop, on an aqueduct of five arches, each 40 feet in span and 25 above the ordinary level of the river; and it is connected by a branch, north-eastward thence, with the Ellesmere Canal at Carreghofa.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: