Mugginton, a parish in Derbyshire, on an affluent of the river Derwent, 4 miles W by N of Duffield railway station, and 5 SW of Belper. It contains a pleasant village of its own name situated on an acclivity, and also the townships of Weston Underwood, Mercaston, and Eavensdale Park. Post town, Derby; the money order and telegraph office is Brailsford. It comprises 4970 acres; population of the civil parish, 523; of the ecclesiastical, 555. The manor of Mugginton and the manors of Weston Underwood and Ravensdale Park belong to Lord Scarsdale. Mercaston Hall was the ancient seat of the Knivetons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £328 with residence. The church is in different styles, was restored in 1845, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with pinnacled tower, and contains the tomb of Sir R. Kniveton, who died in 1400. The interior of the chancel was restored in 1888.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mugginton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Belper|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mugginton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Mugginton (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Mugginton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: