UK Genealogy Archives logo

Mosbrough, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Mosbrough, a village in Eckington parish, Derbyshire, standing on high ground, near the river Bother, about 1½ mile from Killamarsh railway station, 6 from Sheffield, and 7 NNE of Chesterfield. It occupies the site of a Roman settlement, commands extensive views, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Rotherham. The hamlet of Holbrook forms part of the district, where there is a large colliery. There is a church, consecrated in 1887, and dedicated to St Mark; also a chapel of ease, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and an endowed school witli £30 a year, dating from the time of Charles II.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Civil parishEckington 
HundredScarsdale 
Poor Law unionChesterfield 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Mosbrough from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: