UK Genealogy Archives logo

Llanwrin, Montgomeryshire

Historical Description

Llanwrin, a township and a parish in Montgomeryshire. The township lies on the river Dovey, amid mountainous scenery, 2½ miles SW of Cemmaes Road station on the Cambrian railway, and S½ NE of Machynlleth. It has a post office under Machynlleth; money order office, Machynlleth; telegraph office, Cemmaes Road railway station. The parish contains also the townships of Blaenglesyrch, Rhiwgwreiddyn, and Glynccirig. Acreage, 12,063; population of the civil parish, 5!)7; of the ecclesiastical, 509. Mathavarn, now a farmhouse, was the residence of Davydd Llwyd, a bard of the 15th century, and gave entertainment for a night to the Earl of Richmond, afterwards Henry VII., when on his way from Milford to Bosworth. The rocks include slate. The living is a rectory in tho diocese of Bangor; gross value, £365 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St Gwrin, and was restored in 18C4.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Registration districtMachynlleth1837 - 1974

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

For births, marriages, and deaths in Llanwrin from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Machynlleth Registration District.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: