Llanwnog, a parish in Montgomeryshire, on an affluent of the river Severn, and on the Roman road to Chester, 6 miles W. by N. of Newtown containing the hamlet of Caersws, which has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Acreage, 10,910, including 108 of water; population of the civil parish, 1425; of the ecclesiastical, 1418. The surface it, hilly, rises to altitudes of 1500 feet and upwards, and includes three lakes. Ancient British camps and other antiquities are on the hills. A Roman station was at Caersws. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor; gross value, £198 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St Gwynog, and has an old screen. There are Baptist, Congregational, Wesleyan, and Calvinistic Methodist chapels, and also the Newtown Union Workhouse.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Newtown||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llanwnog from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Newtown Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: