Llanwddyn, a village and a parish in Montgomeryshire. The village stands on the river Vyrnwy and Lake Vyrnwy, 10 miles due W of Llanfyllin, and has a post and money order office under Oswestry; telegraph office, Llanf; llin. The old village and church were submerged in the formation of Lake Vyrnwy, a great artificial lake, nearly 5 miles long, which was formed in 1888 to furnish a water supply to Liverpool. A new village has sprung up at the S end of the lake, about 2 miles from the old site, and a new church, vicarage, &c., have been built. The parish comprises 16,892 acres of land and 1061 of water; population of the civil parish, 408; of the ecclesiastical, 526. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £286 with residence. Patron, Earl Powis. See VYRNWY, LAKE.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Llanfyllin||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llanwddyn from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Llanfyllin Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: