Llangyniew, a township and a parish in Montgomeryshire. The township lies on the river Einion, a little above its influx to the Vyrnwy, 2¼ miles NE of Llanfair Caereinion, and 7 W by N of Wekhpool. The parish contains also the townships of Cynhinfa, Gwaenynog Isaf, and Mathyrafal. Post town, Llanfair Caereinion, under Welshpool. Acreage, 4676; population of the civil parish, 457; of the ecclesiastical, 347. A seat of the princes of Powys and of the Viponts stood here, and was burned in the time of King John. The land is hilly, but cultivated to the summits, and it includes some wood and some turbary. There are two ancient British camps. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £298 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Early English, and contains an ancient carved screen, an ancient font, and a tablet to the Welsh scholar, Dr Evans. Parts of the ecclesiastical parishes of Font Dolanog, and Pont Robert are within the parish. There are Congregational and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Llanfyllin||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llangyniew from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Llanfyllin Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: