Llangadfan, a township and a parish in Montgomeryshire. The township lies on the river Vyrnwy, 6½ miles WNW of Llanfair Caereinion, and 12 SW of Llanfyllin. It has a post and money order office under Welshpool; telegraph office, Llanfair Caereinion. The parish contains also the townships of Blowty, Bryngwaeddan, Cowny, Cyffin, Maes-llamysten, and Moelfeliarth. It extends beyond the river Banwy, and is partly watered by the considerable rivulet Nant-yr-Eira. Acreage, 17,099; population of the civil parish, 876; of the ecclesiastical, 465. Llwydiarth Hall belonged formerly to the Vaughan family. A monastic establishment, a cell to Strata Florida Abbey, was at Cyffin. Lead and copper ores have been found. Ancient fortified posts and barrows are numerous, and there are remains of a cromlech. A serious riot, attended with the burning of the parsonage, took place in 1645 on the occasion of the visit of the Vavasour Powell to sequestrate the benefices of the county. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £206 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. The church is dedicated to St Cadvan, and is modern, with a Perpendicular eastern window. There are Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Llanfyllin||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llangadfan from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Llanfyllin Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: