Llanfyllin, a market-town, a municipal borough, and a parish in Montgomeryshire. The town stands on the river Cain, at the terminus of a branch of the Cambrian railway, 9 miles W by S of the junction of that branch with the main line at Llanymynech, 15 NW byN of Montgomery, 11 NNW of Welshpool, 14 SW of Oswestry, and 202 by rail from London. It is a well-built and pleasant place, with a principal street running E and W; and was chartered by Llewelyn-ap-Grufydd in the time of Edward II. A new charter was granted to the town in 1885, and it is now governed by a mayor, 4 aldermen, and 12 councillors. The town unites with Montgomery, Welshpool, Newtown, Llanidloes, and Mach-ynlleth in sending a member to Parliament, is a seat of petty sessions and county courts, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Oswestry, a railway station, a bank, a bridge over the Cain, a town-hall, a church, Baptist, Congregational, Wesleyan, and Calvinistic Methodist chapels, and a workhouse. The town-hall is a brick building, with a market-place underneath. The church is dedicated to St Myllin, was rebuilt in 1706, and is noted for its peal of bells. A weekly market is held on Thursday. Tanning, malting, and brewing are carried on, and the ale or " cwrw " produced by the brewing is the subject of a local proverb that " old ale fills Llanfyllin with young widows." Population of the town and municipal borough, 1753; of the parliamentary borough, 1064.
The parish includes the townships of Bachie, Bodfacli, Bodran, Bodyddon, Brynelltyn, Gammon, Gartbgell, Globwil, Greenhall, Nanthalam, Rhinwnachor, and Rhyscog. Acreage, 8143; population of civil parish, 1753; of ecclesiastical, 1745. Llwyn, situated close to the town, is a chief residence. Bodfach belonged to the Ryffins, passed to the Mostyns, and it was occupied at one time by Lord Castlemaine, the ambassador of James II. to the Pope. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £339 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. Charles I. was at Llanfyllin, in 1644, on his way to Chirk Castle.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Llanfyllin||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llanfyllin from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Llanfyllin Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: