UK Genealogy Archives logo

Llanfihangel, Montgomeryshire

Historical Description

Llanfihangel or Llanfihangel-Ynghwnfa, a parish in Montgomeryshire, on the Caersws Roman Way, 5 miles SW by W of Llanfyllin. It contains a village of its own name, is cut into two divisions, lower and upper, and includes the townships of Cefncleisiog, Cadwnfa, Dolwar, Fachwen, Farchwel, Fynnon Arthur, Garthucha, Halfen, Llaethbwich, Llwydiarth, Nanty Candy, and Rhiwias. It has a post office under Oswestry; money order and telegraph office, Llanfyllin. Acreage, 10,831; population of the civil parish, 767; of the ecclesiastical, 446. The surface is hilly and much of the land is enclosed. The parish was formerly part of Gwnfa, within the principality of Powysland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £265 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The ecclesiastical parishes of Llwydiarth and Pont Dolanog are partly in this parish. There is a Congregational chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: