UK Genealogy Archives logo

Llanfechain, Montgomeryshire

Historical Description

Llanfechain, a village and a parish in Montgomeryshire, The village stands on the river Cain, 3½ miles E of Llanfyllin;, and has a station on the Llanfyllin branch of the Cambrian railway, and a post office under Oswestry; money order and telegraph office, Llansaintffraid. The parish contains the townships of Bodynfoel, Trerllan Issa, Trerllan Ucha, Tre Lys, and Ystymgynnon. Acreage, 4525; population of the civil parish, 619; of the ecclesiastical, 564. Bodynfoel House is the chief residence. There are ancient British camps and a reputed holy well. The living is a rectory in the diocese-of St Asaph; net value, £402 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. There are Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Registration districtLlanfyllin1837 - 1974

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

For births, marriages, and deaths in Llanfechain from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Llanfyllin Registration District.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: