Monyash, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Bakewell parish, Derbyshire. The village stands in a hollow at the head of the river Lathkill, 5 miles WSW of Bakewell railway station; was at Domesday a penal settlement for refractory monks, was afterwards a market-town, and is now a seat of half-yearly Barmoot courts for matters relating to lead mines in the hundred of High Peak. It lias a post office under Bakewell; money order and telegraph office, Bakewell. The parish comprises 3146 acres; population, 402. The manor belongs to the Finney family. The land lies chiefly on limestone, and has a bleak appearance. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £211 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Bakewell. The church is old, was thoroughly restored in 1887, and consists of nave and aisles, with tower and octagonal spire. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a Friends' meetinghouse, and an endowed school with £30 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bakewell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Monyash from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Monyash)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Monyash are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: