Llanerfyi, a village and a parish in Montgomeryshire. The village stands on the river Banw, near the Sam Sws Roman Way, 5½ miles NW by W of Llanfair Caereinion, and 10 SW of Llanfyllin, and has a post office under Welshpool; money order office, Llangadfan; telegraph office, Llanfair Caereinion. The parish contains 15,051 acres of land and 124 of water; population of the civil parish, 668; of the ecclesiastical, 637. Neuadd Wen was the seat of Meredydd ap Cynan, and Llyssin was the seat of the Herberts. Much of the surface is bleak upland. Traces exist of copper ore. An ancient circular rampart enclosing an area of about 70 yards overlooks the village, another ancient fortification is at Moelddol-wyn, and numerous barrows are on the hills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; gross value, £305 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is dedicated to St Erfyi, and is Early English. A stone with a very old inscription and a well formerly reputed holy are near the church. There are Congregational, Wes-leyan, and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: