Llandinam, a village and a parish in Montgomeryshire. The village stands on the river Severn, 6 miles NE by N of Xilanidloes; is romantically situated on the brink of a cliff overhanging the river, and at the foot of the Llandinam Hills. There are four stations in the parish on the Cambrian railway, Llandinam, Moat Lane Junction, Dolwrn, and Tyiwch. There is a post office (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Caersws. The parish contains the townships of Gwerneryn, Maesmawr, Llandinam, Trewythen, Rhyd-faes, and Henpynwydd. Area, 18,396 acres of land and 109 of water; population, 1325. The Llandinam Hills form a range rising to the height of 1895 feet. There are several ancient British camps in this parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor; net value, £255. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church was built out of one of the ancient camps, and has a curious wooden belfry. It was founded by Llonis (Lawhir), the son of Alan Vyrgau, who was the son of Emyr Llydaw, a saint that lived in the early part of the 6th century. He was a member of the college of Illtyd, and afterwards confessor or dean in the college of Padam At Llanbadarn Vawr. He also founded the church of Llanllwni in Carmarthenshire, and was buried at Bardsey. There are Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Newtown||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llandinam from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Newtown Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: