Milford, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Duffield parish, and partly in the urban district of Belper, Derbyshire. The name is a corruption of Mule-ford. The village stands on the river Derwent, adjacent to the M.R., 1 mile N of Duffield station, and 1½ S of Belper; is a considerable place; carries on extensive business in a large cotton spinning factory, in bleaching and dyeing works, and in a large flour mill; and has a post and money order office under Derby; telegraph office, Belper. The ecclesiastical parish contains also the hamlet of Makeney, and was constituted in 1846. Population, 1381. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £180 with residence. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1848 at a cost of £2000, on a site given by the Messrs. Strutt, and is a neat edifice in the Early English style, consisting of nave and chancel. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Reformed Methodist chapels. There are also large schools connected with the cotton factory.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Belper|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Milford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Milford)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Milford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: