Llanbrynmair, a village and a parish in Montgomeryshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Dyfi, 10 miles E of Machynlleth, and has a station on the Cambrian railway, a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S O.), and fairs on 23 Feb., 30 March, 27 April, 25 May, 28 Sept., and 26 Oct. The parish includes the townships of Dolgadfan, Pennant, and Tafolwern. Acreage, 22,996 of land and 131 of water; population of the civil parish, 1288; of the ecclesiastical, 1117. The Wynnstay Arms Inn, with the Llanbrynmair station, is a good resort for anglers and artists, and a good centre for visiting some grand pieces of scenery. One very rich scene is a series of waterfalls at the head of the Twymyn rivulet, the uppermost of which, called Ffrwd-fawr, makes a perpendicular descent of 130 feet. Several lead mines are within the parish, among bleak hills to the NE of the Plynlimmon range. Druidical circles, 27, 72, and 81 feet in diameter, are at Newydd Mynyddog. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor; gross value, £238 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The parochial church is dedicated to St Mary, and a church of St John was built in 1868. Llanbrynmair is a compound of three words, signifying " church," " hill," and " Mary."
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Machynlleth||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llanbrynmair from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Machynlleth Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: