UK Genealogy Archives logo

Middleton by Wirksworth, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Middleton-by-Wirksworth, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Derbyshire. The village stands 1 mile NW by N of Wirksworth station on the M.R., and 2 miles WSW of Cromford; is a considerable place; and has a post office under Derby; money order and telegraph office, Wirksworth. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Acreage, 991; population, 1007. Excellent marble is quarried, and lead ore is mined. The well-known "Hopton Wood Stone" is quarried in the parish and found nowhere else. The ecclesiastical parish includes also the townships of Ible and Ivonbrook Grange, and was constituted in 1845. Population, 1173. The parish council consists of seven members. The parish also sends two members to the district council. Ivonbrook Grange belongs to Lord Scarsdale. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Wirksworth. The church was built in 1839, and was restored and reseated in 1884-85. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, and also a Primitive Methodist chapel in Ible township.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Civil parishWirksworth 
HundredWirksworth 
Poor Law unionBakewell 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Middleton by Wirksworth from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: