Guilsfield, a village and a parish in Montgomeryshire. The village stands among wooded hills, 3 miles N of Welsh-pool, is a very pretty place, and has a post and money order office under Welshpool; telegraph office, Welshpool. The parish includes the townships of Llan, Lower Broniarth, Upper Broniarth, Burgedin, Garth, Gungrog-fechan, Hen-drehen, Llanerchrochwell, Rheteskin, Tirymynech, Trelydan, Trawscoed, and Varcboel. Llan contains the village, and several parts are within Welshpool borough. Acreage, 15, 311; population of the civil parish, 2275; of the ecclesiastical, 1372. Garth, Trelydan Hall, Crosswood, Brooklands, and Maesmawr Hall are chief residences. Traces exist of a Roman way and an ancient camp, and the site of Strata Marcella Abbey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; gross value, £278 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. The church is a fine old edifice, restored in 1879 by Street, and is supposed to have been attached to Strata Marcella Abbey. Portions of the old civil parish have been assigned to Welshpool, Pool Quay, and Senrhos. An enclosure called Cobham's Garden is still to be seen near the Clawdd, where Lord Cobham was arrested when trying to escape from the Government of his day. The great or rectorial tithes belong to Christ Church, Oxford.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Montgomery||1837 - 1856|
|Registration district||Llanfyllin||1856 - 1894|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: