Forden, a village and a parish in Montgomeryshire. Offa's Dyke and the rivers Severn and Camlet are in the parish. It is 3 miles N of Montgomery, and 5 S of Welshpool. It has a station on the Cambrian railway, and a post office under Welsh-pool; money order and telegraph office, Montgomery. The parish includes also the townships of Ackley, Edderton, Hem, Kilkweydd, Llettygynfach, Munlyn, Thornbury, Woodlaston, and Wropton, and contains the workhouse for Montgomery, Welshpool, Forden, and other parishes. Acreage, 5361; population, 795. Cefn-Digoll here was the scene of the final discomfiture of the Welsh in 1294. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; gross value, £298. Patrons, the Grocers' Company. The church was built in 1867, and has a semi-detached tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Montgomery||1837 - 1870|
|Registration district||Forden||1870 - 1935|
|Registration district||Welshpool||1936 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: