UK Genealogy Archives logo

Darowen, Montgomeryshire

Historical Description

Darowen, a village and a parish in Montgomeryshire. The village stands near the confluence of the rivers Twymyn and Dovey, 1½ mile S of Cemmes Road station on the Cambrian railway, and 6½ miles E by N of Machynlleth. The parish comprises the townships of Caerseddfan and Noddfa, the latter of which includes the village. Post town, Cemmes Road(R.S.O.) Acreage, 10,194; population of the civil parish, 702; of the ecclesiastical, 433. Great part of the surface is sheep-walk. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor; net value, £159 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church was rebuilt in 1864, and is in Early English. It is dedicated to St Tudur. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Registration districtMachynlleth1837 - 1974

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

For births, marriages, and deaths in Darowen from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Machynlleth Registration District.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: