Mellor, a village, a township, and an ancient chapelry in Glossop parish, Derbyshire. The village stands near the river Goyt at the boundary with Cheshire, 1½ mile ESE of Marple station on the Midland and M.S. & L. Joint railway, and 2 miles S by E of Stockport, and has a post office under Stockport; money order and telegraph office, Marple Bridge. The township has an area of 2362 acres; population, 1096. The old chapelry is of long standing, and formerly included portions of the new parishes of New Mills and Charlesworth. It now comprises the townships of Mellor and Ludworth. Population, 2900. There are cotton mills, bleaching works, and collieries, but the latter are not now worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £164. The church stands on a commanding site with extensive views, is a very plain building with an old tower, and contains a curiously-carved pulpit and a grotesque font, evidently very old. There are Primitive Methodist and United Free Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hayfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Mellor 1678-1775, Derbyshire is available to browse online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mellor from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Mellor)
- Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1899
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: