Church Stoke, Montgomeryshire
Church-Stoke, a township in Montgomeryshire, and a parish in Montgomeryshire and Salop. The township lies on Offa's Dyke and the river Camlet, 4 miles SE of Montgomery, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) The parish contains also the townships of Bacheldre, Lower Hopton, Upper Hopton, Weston-Madoc, Hurdley, and Mel-lington in Montgomeryshire, and the township of Brompton and Bhiston in Salop. Acreage of the Montgomeryshire portion of the parish, 8975; population, 1118. Acreage of Brompton and Bhiston, 1817; population, 144. Traces of British and Roman camps appear. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £230 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Powis. The church is ancient.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: