Kerry or Ceri, a village and a parish in Montgomeryshire. The village stands at the foot of the Kerry Hills, in a pleasant vale, at the terminus of a short branch (the Kerry and Abermule) of the Cambrian railway, 3 miles E by S of Newtown, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Newtown. The parish comprises 21, 654 acres; population, 1902; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1079. Dolforgan and Brynllywarch are the chief residences. Much of the land is moor or pasture, and was formerly under wood. The Kerry Hills form a considerable part of the area, but extend eastward into Salop, towards Clunand Bishops Castle; they have a bleak and desolate appearance. An ancient castle stood in the place, but was demolished in the time of Henry III, There are several ancient earthworks. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value,, £373 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church is ancient, was restored in 1883, and contains an old font and a good marble monument of Richard Jones, who founded a school here. The vicarages of Sarn and Dolfor are separate benefices. There are Baptist and Congregational chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: