UK Genealogy Archives logo

Cemmaes, Montgomeryshire

Historical Description

Cemmaes, a village and a parish in Montgomeryshire. The village stands on the river Dyfi, 7 miles E of Machynlleth, and has a station on the Mawddwy railway, and a post and money order office (R.S.O); telegraph office, Cemmaes Road railway station, 2 miles SW. The parish consists of the townships of Gwernybwich, Brynuchel, and Tafalog. Acreage, 1321; population, 729. Some remains exist of an ancient circle for games. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor; gross value, £340 commuted rent-charge, with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church is good, and there are Congregational and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Registration districtMachynlleth1837 - 1974

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

For births, marriages, and deaths in Cemmaes from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Machynlleth Registration District.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: