Carno, a river, a village, and a parish in Montgomeryshire. The river rises near the watershed with the Dyfi, and runs 9 miles south-eastward to the Severn, 2½ N of Llandinam. A part of a Roman road is visible close to the village. The village stands on the river, 10 miles W by N of Newtown, and has a station on the Cambrian railway, and a post office (R.S.O.) The parish comprises the townships of Derlwyn, Llyssyn, and Trawscoed. Acreage, 11,004; population of the civil parish, 772; of the ecclesiastical, 779. Great part of the surface is mountainous. Remains of an entrenchment, called Caer-y-Noddfa, are contiguous to the village. A battle, decisive of the sovereignty of North Wales, is said to have been fought in 949 at the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor; net value, £140 with residence. The church occupies the site of an old one of the Knights of St John of Jerusalem, and was built in 1807. There are dissenting chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Newtown||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Carno from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Newtown Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: