Caersws, a hamlet in Llanwnog parish, Montgomeryshire, on the river Severn, 5½ miles WNW of Newtown. It has a station on the Cambrian railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) A Roman station was here, commanding the neighbouring passes, and a camp still exists, enclosing about 7 acres. A farmhouse is within the enclosure, and many Roman remains have been found, including coins of Vespasian, Trajan, Severus, &c., tiles, pottery, &c. Several Roman roads converged to Caersws, which continued to be a place of some importance long after the Roman era, as Leland records that it was a borough and a market-town in his time. Several British camps are in the neighbourhood. There is a chapel of ease at Caersws, and also Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: