Buttington, a village and a parish in Montgomeryshire, on Offa's Dyke and the river Severn, 2 miles NE of Welshpool. There is a station on the Shrewsbury, Welshpool, and Cambrian railways. The parish includes the townships of Cletterwood, Hope, and Trewern, and its post town is Welshpool. Acreage, 5266; population, 674. A sharp victory was obtained here in 894 by the Saxons over the Danes, and nearly the last of the sanguinary struggles of the Welsh for national independence was made here. Several ancient entrenchments are on the hills, and a vast quantity of human bones was found in digging for a foundation. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £207 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Welshpool. The church is Early English, and contains a curious font, supposed to be the capital of a pillar, and taken from the abbey of Strata Marcella. There is a curious window in the west end made up of fragments of old glass, and containing a shield of the arms of Sutton, Baron Dudley.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: