Bettws or Bettws Cedewain, Montgomeryshire
Bettws or Bettws-Cedewain, a village and a parish in Montgomeryshire. The village is in Ucheldre township, and stands on the river Bechan, 2½ miles above its influx to the Severn, 4 NW of Abermule station on the Cambrian railway, and 5½ N by E of Newtown. The parish includes the townships of Ucheldre, Dolforwyn, Garthgellin, and Llani-theon, and it has a post office under Newtown, which is the telegraph office; money order office, Tregynon, 2 miles NW distant. Acreage, 5428; population of the civil parish, 579; of the ecclesiastical, 464. The surface is undulating and well-wooded. A ruined ancient castle in Dolforwyn township is conjectured to have been built by the British in the time of the Romans; the name signifies "the maiden's meadow," and is said to have been the habitation of " Sabrina fair," whose fate is immortalized by Drayton and Milton. Some curiously wrought brazen and earthen vessels have been found near the castle. A vast hill camp, called Pen-y-Gaer, is in the neighbourhood of the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £148 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church belonged to a Cistercian nunnery founded in the 13th century —Strata Marcella Abbey, near Welshpool—has a tower, completed in 1531 by John Meredyth, and contains a monument to him. There are Baptist and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: